giovedì 9 giugno 2011

Dominic Fioretti's First 2 Weeks at A Door to Italy

Dominic Fioretti describes his obstacles while learning Italian during his first two weeks in Italy. He also wrote about his experience meeting his family in San Lucido. The Italian description is first and the English translation follows it.

Per la prima settimana a scuola, noi abbiamo incontrato i professori per le nostre lezioni. Per le lezioni di lingua, abbiamo GianLuca e Stefano, mentre per la lezione di Cultura abbiamo Alessandro. Tutti i professori sono molti simpatici e pazienti. Quello è buono perché imparo lentamente. I corsi sono stati molto buoni nonostante io non abbia capito tutto che Stefano e GianLuca hanno detto. Tipicamente, io vado molto bene a scuola e ricevo voti buoni. Però la lezione d'italiano è molto difficile per me, è difficile ascoltare o parlare la lingua. Penso di capire la grammatica più facile di ricordare il vocabolario. Frequentemente, ho dimenticato della parole che già conoscevo una settimana fa. Provo a memorizzare verbi ma sono i più difficili per me da ricordare. Quando una persona parla con me, io non so frequentemente quello che lui/lei ha detto perché io non riconosco molti dei verbi. Non posso capire e questo è molto frustrante e sono arrabbiato spesso. Penso di avere bisogno di provare un nuovo metodo quando studio perché non imparo tanto velocemente quanto ho sperato.

Per la settimana due, continuiamo sapere la grammatica e frasi specifiche. GianLuca è un insegnate molto buono e il suo umorismo mi aiutava a avanzare. I più bei momenti di questa settimana era nella mia gita a San Lucido con mio padre, Pasquale, e mia zia, Carmela. Questo tempo quando noi abbiamo viaggiato in aereo, non è stato tardi. La gita era incredibile solamente perché i nipoti di mio padre sono persone fantastiche. Mio padre non aveva visitato la città da quarantuno anni e loro lo hanno accettato senza esitazione. Line e Maria sono i miei secondi nipoti e sono donne molto simpatiche e entusiaste. Loro non hanno permesso al mio papà o a me di dire, "no grazie" al cibo (e era molto delizioso). La città è bella e classica, in mezzo alle montagne alte e il mare incredibile.

Se San Lucido era bella, Roma era formidabile. Personalmente, non penso che qualcosa sara più incredibile di San Lucido perché ero con il mio papà mentre lui vedeva la casa della sua infanzia. Comunque, il Colosseo e il Castel d'Angelo erano magnifici. Claudio e io abbiamo voluto vedere l'arte di Michelangelo nella cappella ma la fila era molta lunga. Spero di vedere Roma quando io ritornerò in Italia con la mia famiglia.

_________________________________________________________________________

For the first week of school, we met the professors for our lessons. For the language lesson, we have GianLuca and Stefano, while for the culture lesson we have Alessandro. All the professors are very nice and patient. That is good because I learn slowly. The classes were very good even though I didn't understand everything that Stefano and GianLuca said. Tipically, I am good at school and get good grades. However, the Italian lesson is very difficult for me, it is hard to listen or speak the language. I think understanding the grammar is easier than remembering the vocabulary. Frequently, I forget the words that I just learned a week ago. I try to memorize verbs but they are the most difficult for me to remember. When a person speaks to me, I often don't know what he/she said because I don't recognize many of the verbs. I can't understand and this is very frustrating and I am often angry. I think I need to try a new method when I study because I don't learn as fast as I had hoped.

For the second week, we continued to learn grammar and specific phrases. GianLuca is a very good teacher and his humor helped me to progress. The best moments of this week was during my trip to San Lucido with my father, Pasquale, and my aunt, Carmela. This time when we took the plane, it wasn't late. The trip was incredible solely because my father's cousins are fantastic people. My father had never visited the city for forty-one years and they accepted him without hestitation. Line and Maria are my second cousins and they are very nice and enthusiastic women. They didn't let my father or I say, "no thanks" to food. (and it was very delicious). The city is beautiful and classical, in the middle of the tall montains and the incredible ocean.

If San Lucido was beautiful, Rome was formidable. Personally, I don't think that something is more incredible than San Lucido because I was with my father while he saw his childhood home. However, the Colosseum and the Castel d'Angelo were magnificent. Claudio and I had wanted to see the art of Michelangelo in the chapel but the line was very long. I hope to see Rome when I return to Italy with my family.

Story and Picture by Dominic Fioretti
Translation by LisaMarie Gaeta

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento